Wednesday, October 16, 2013

"This has to be the most beautiful place I have ever been to"

That's what I thought to myself as I paddled around the corner into Tasiilaq Fjord, "the most beautiful place I have ever visited".
Just stunning.
I had left Kuummiut that morning, heading north up the Ammassalik Fjord. My friend in Kuummiut had recommended this fjord to me, saying there were also some huts in the fjord. Ever since I had seen his website, www.kuummiut.com , I had wanted to visit it, and I wasn't disappointed.
I had a headwind most of the way up to the fjord but as I neared the entrance the wind dropped right out and the water became glassy smooth. I passed 4 huts before the entrance and even had a whale blowing in the distance. 
There was another commercial hut inside the fjord but this one was locked, something I find unusually unfriendly in a landscape such as this where shelter can be the difference between life and death.








No comments:

Post a Comment