Monday, October 21, 2013

Equipment summary

This trip involved taking quite a lot of gear with me to Greenland, both for my safety and also my comfort. Following is a brief comment on how some of the equipment performed.

Firstly, it should be mentioned that this trip would have been impossible without the help of Martin Rickard, of seakayakadventures. http://www.seakayakadventures.webeden.co.uk/
Martin had enough faith in me to hire me a kayak for a solo trip, something most people would not do due to the risk, and he also provided the spraydeck, pfd, spare paddle and shotgun.All good gear that performed as needed.
Martin runs 2 to 3 trips every summer in the Ammassalik region and I would urge any mildly adventurous paddler to give one a go, they are awesome!

My main sponsor is Mont Adventure Equipment of Australia. I am what is called a Mont Ambassador and as a result I get to try out the best gear available. Mont produce outstanding gear with innovative and thoughtful design and incredible useability. Apart from the Mont clothing, which all performed admirably, I took a Mont Spindrift sleeping bag and a Mont Epoch 4 season tent. The sleeping bag was great, warm, snuggly and light. Sleeping bags have come a long way over the last few years and this is one of the best.
My Mont Icicle down jacket was a bit like a sleeping bag with arms, very warm and comfortable to wear.
The Mont Lightspeed Jacket and Latitude pants are the best expedition/travel clothing around. Cut really nicely so they look good anywhere, they are still very functional and getting wet or cold from the wind wasn't an issue at all.
The tent, a 6 pole structure, is spacious, very stable and well ventilated. It is quiet in a wind and suitable for mountain and expedition use. I also used a Mont Fuego carry on bag for the flights to Greenland and it was excellent.

Once again I used Smitten thermal merino underwear on this trip. Light, warm and almost impossible to get it smelling! Good stuff.

I was supplied with an InReach Iridium satellite messenger by the manufacturers, Delorme. This was just brilliant. It works so well and easily, it's like using a mobile phone to text but without the signal limitations. The ability to send and receive was invaluable. It enabled me to easily keep in touch with my wife and receive weather forecasts. Highly recommended.

My stove was a Primus Omnifuel, a virtual powerhouse of heat but still very controllable. It's other huge advantage is the ability to burn various liquid fuels AND gas. Good for remote travelling. I used a QuietStove cap with it which is very worthwhile.

For a mattress, nothing beats an Exped Downmat. I took a full length Downmat 9 and the comfort is ridiculous :-)

I was trying out a new headlamp, a Petzl Nao and the light output on full power is tremendous. It is still very controllable and can be set to provide very long running times if required. Its ability to be charged via USB was a boon.

For charging I used a Brunton 26W solar panel along with a Brunton Sustain battery and a Hahnel Unipal II battery charger. The battery charger was brilliant, it charges all types and shapes of lithium batteries as well as AA/AAA's. The complete battery charger!

The ration packs supplied by Outdoors Grub was about as good as this sort of food can get. Certainly heaps of energy and I never went hungry.

On the kayaking side, my Kokotat Drysuit did the job without problem. I used Chota Mukluks and I really think that these are perfect for cold water paddling.I also used NRS neoprene paddling mitts which didn't keep my hands dry but they did keep them warm.

I took 2 GPS's with me, a Garmin 62s and a Garmin Montana. The 62 was for backup. The Montana is a good, if rather bulky gps and was easy for older eyes to read although I do feel the 62s is still easier to read in sunlight.

I took my own paddle, a Werner Cyprus 210 crank shaft. An absolute delight to use.

For photography,  I took a GoPro Hero 2 camera, a Panasonic FT3 waterproof camera and a Nikon D7000 DSLR. All performed well and enabled me to put together a reasonable set of images from the trip.

The Paqua waterproof cases did what they were supposed to, and Axel Schoever's mapcase was the perfect expedition map case.

So, all in all, everything worked very well indeed. Nothing on the trip failed or felt redundant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment