Monday, April 29, 2013

Trials and Tribulations

I said before that there is only a very slight chance of running into a bear. But in the interests of getting a sound sleep I definitely want a trip wire system around the tent. I have had the poles made and I tried the setup out last week. I had intended using pin activated personal alarms but unfortunately the pins are a very notchy fit in their hole and wouldn't activate with reasonable tension.
Soooo, I have ordered an alarm called a Packalarm from the US. This is a self contained reel holding 330 metres of line which connects to a trigger on the unit. Looks pretty good, let's hope it is!

You can see a video of how it works here

UPDATE!
The Packalarm arrived in the post today and I am very pleased with it. It is compact and light, activates very easily, the line seems perfect for the job and the unit is simple but seemingly robust. Apparently getting wet won't affect the unit which is great so I needn't worry on rainy days.

I will set the trip wire up again in a day or two and see if it is as good as it appears to be.


Too notchy

Just right??

No comments:

Post a Comment